6.16.2011

The [free] Weekend.

It's tough to beat a vacation within a vacation, let alone describe it.  But let me put it this way:  when I am enjoying the beach too much to go on a hike (to see a bird's eye view of the city), then it's got to be a pretty good beach.




But let's not get ahead of ourselves--there was quite a journey to get to the beautiful beaches of San Sebastián.  We arrived in Bilbao at 5:00 a.m. -- and this being Spain, we knew nothing would be open for a good three or four hours . . . so we decided to "post up" (as Dave likes to say) in a park and take a little nap.  Some people were just heading home from the discotecas and I'm sure they thought we were either crazy or drunk (or both), but it definitely created a great memory.  (And you know that I can sleep pretty much anywhere, so I was just fine.)

After our little nap, we explored Bilbao . . .


 
. . . and then we checked into our hotel (and I took pictures of the room, as promised) . . .




. . . and then we went to the Guggenheim and explored the streets a bit more before going back to the hotel.


At the hotel, we just played games and told scary stories and other such slumber-party activities.  It sounds like an uneventful day, but it was a lot of fun to explore the city--the architecture was really cool.

The next morning we had a quick bus ride to San Sebastian and found our hostel pretty easily (thanks to girls in our group who looked up the maps/directions before).  Outside of our hostel, there was one of the protesting campsites, and Alex and Dave decided to join in on some of their games . . .


I was going to join in, but they finished this game right before I got a chance to.  After that, we headed down to the beach and pretty much stayed there for the rest of the weekend--only leaving to eat, sleep, and dance.


 




Our hostel:


Dinner at a pizza/kebap place (I finished my pizza when Khalid still had half of his left)



We met a lot of friends from different countries (most of them were from Australia, and Dave and Alex actually gave them the first discussion on the beach one day) and everyone there was really nice.  I still have yet to meet someone mean here--but then again, I might just not understand them if they're being mean.

As much as I loved the beach during the day, I also really enjoyed it at night.  There is just something about the evening tide and sound of waves in the dark that is so tranquilo, I just love it.  At one point, Dave, Stephen, and I just sat by the dock and talked while we stared at the reflection of the lights on the water.  We also played games on the beach at night, and that was a lot of fun too (until some crazy drunk hobo came along, and then we moved to a different spot). 


[We sat on this sand couch until the tide came and ruined it.]
Basically, I just love the beach, any day, any time. (hint for our family trip in August, unless Havasupai is an option.)  We were all really sad to leave, but life goes on . . . and we're still in Europe so I can't really complain.  Have I said thank you enough for this?  Because it really is the greatest thing ever.

*side story: We saw some missionaries at the bus stop, and so of course I screamed out "elders!!" and waved them over.  I'm not too sure how excited they were to talk to us, but they were way nice and seemed like a good companionship.  Hopefully once my friends get back I won't be so over-enthusiastic whenever I see the white shirts and name-tags.

No comments: