6.04.2011

No Siestas, just Fiestas.

In the past few days, I have found myself wishing that I could just forever live in Spain.  Even though I have been constantly moving and pretty much exhausted, I still don't want to sleep because I want to be awake for every moment of Spain.

We started off our weekend with a little trip to the beach in Gijon.


[We didn't actually build this sand castle.]




It was such a happy day on the beach.  We got there around 3:30 and stayed until 8:30 . . . but it only felt like 5:00 because of how weird the sun is here.  After we got back to Oviedo, we went and got some kebaps for dinner.


After that, we went to the park and talked for a long time.  At one point, we went to the south end of the park where all of the teenagers hang out.  It was probably the weirdest thing I've seen here--glasses and bottles were everywhere and probably over a hundred kids were just drinking and smoking . . . and they didn't even seem to notice or care that we were just sitting and watching them.  It made me really sad to see, I can't even really describe how I was feeling, but it was sad.  On the bright side, the park is always clean as a whistle the next morning [I have no idea how that happens, but it does . . . Oviedo's the cleanest city I've ever seen].  

Today we had our excursion to Cangas de Onis, the lakes, and Covadonga.  [And yes, I woke up on time today.]  We drove through gorgeous rolling hills/mountains and countryside to get to all of the places; and when we were there it was just so peaceful and sunny and happy.

[You can't tell, but we're all standing at the top of this bridge.]







At Covadonga there is a waterfall with a special fountain next to it that supposedly makes anyone who drinks from it get married within a year.  There are seven spouts in the fountain, and I found out after I drank from it that you're supposed to drink from each spout to make the myth come true . . . oops.  But I tried, dad--just for you.

[I don't know why I look like a ghost in this.]

Once we made it home from our excursions, we went to two different markets that were going on.  There were a lot of leather and food booths [I tried all of the different cheeses just for you mom].  


[This was taken at 8:30--maybe I'm crazy but it looks like noon to me.]

There always seems to be a party going on here [especially on the weekends]--it's fantastic.  And now, I'm going to do my homework, make a lunch for my giant hike tomorrow . . . and then head out to the discotecas for a bit of dancing before bed.  And don't worry, I'll sleep on the bus tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great weekend! Dad and James are home from England. They had alot of fun, but are very tired. We miss you. Be happy, healthy and good. lovesies, mom