6.23.2013

Off again . . . again.

{If you are new to this blog, go here and here for some background.}

So.  When I was heading to D.C., I decided that it was probably going to be my last adventure before graduating/starting work.  I had never experienced a true summer in Provo before, and I just wanted to relax and enjoy one last normal summer before starting up "real life" (as they sometimes call it).  You know, read books by the pool, go on fun trips, eat popsicles, run through the sprinklers, barbecue, camp. . . . that all sounds nice, right?

But then, about mid-way through my time at D.C., I found myself on BYU's study abroad website.  I don't know how it happened!  {Okay, yes I do.  One of my good friends was talking about his fun summer plans abroad and I decided to just peruse and just see if there wasn't something I could do.} I couldn't help it.  And I found a program in Uganda.  And it looked great.  And I could afford it.  And then three of my friends in D.C. told me they did that same program and that it was wonderful.  And so I applied. {Much to my parents' chagrin.}  And now I am heading to Africa for the next 7 weeks.

Now, that explanation makes this all sound a little whimsical and flighty.  Which it is definitely not.  Let me try and restate this: What I am doing for the next 7 weeks is fulfilling one of my longest, biggest dreams.  Top of the bucket list.  Something I have felt inexplicably drawn to since the age of 12.  {And when I say inexplicably, I mean it.  I have never been able to adequately articulate my feelings attached to this, so just know that when I say I'm drawn, this magnetism is stronger than a McKean boy to a deep-fried candy bar.}  Initially my plans were to just go do whatever humanitarian work I could help with.  But then, in October 2010, I read about an amazing man named Muhammad Yunus {I got to meet him in March!!} and his creation of the Grameen Bank.  I finally saw a way that I could use my skills to help individuals in Africa.  I immediately started searching for ways to go and work with microfinance in Africa.  For two years I searched for programs/internships that would work, but the right opportunity never arose and other opportunities got in the way.  {Albeit, they were wonderful opportunities that I would not trade for the world.}   

So finally, this last November as I was sitting in my small kitchen in D.C. late at night, I decided that I needed to seize this opportunity in Uganda.  I understood that I was taking a big risk by not doing an internship, in order to secure a job, right before I graduated . . . but it didn't matter.  My mind was set.  Nothing was going to deter me, not even vague, alluring promises from my father of a future trip to Africa together.  I prayed about it, and it felt right.  So here I am.

{This is a video someone from the program took last year.}

Some of you may be wondering exactly what I will be doing.  Research.  Research on microfinance and what incentives can be used to teach people how to save their money.  But beyond that, I will be getting my first exposure to the developing world; I will be getting a look at what is really going on.  I do not intend for this to be a one-time thing.  As I have taken classes for my international development minor, I have only gained a greater desire to make a difference in the lives of those who lack opportunity.  To teach a man to fish.  And I could go on and on, but I'm starting to realize how wordy this post is getting.

We'll just close with this.  I am leaving.  And I am excited beyond belief.  And if you would like to keep up with how things are going, just follow along on here.  




No comments: