8.05.2013

a little R & R

Two weird things happened last week:

One, I think I was sick?  I mean, I know I was for sure sick one day, but then after that for the rest of the week I did not feel well, had zero energy, did not want to eat/was nauseated, and slept a lot.  So. . . .yeah.  I think I was sick.  So I spent the majority of the week sleeping and just working from my apartment, with a few errands/trips out here and there.  Even though relaxing is something I can easily do physically, it was really, really hard for me to handle mentally.  I had to keep forcing myself to remember that it is okay to let your body recuperate.  (Okay, maybe some of that reinforcing came from Bethany.)  But I just felt lazy and lame and wimpy.  And I was sad because another project was going out and interviewing young girls for a project, but I just did not feel well enough to go.  So I missed out on a cool opportunity with that.  But I'm feeling better now. . . so I'm hopeful that I will have an appetite in time for Paris.

Two, Amanda sent me a picture of Foothill Drive, and while I looked at it I thought, "I do not want to be there right now."  In an instant, any bit of longing for home that I had went away.  (Some of that came back when we talked on Saturday though.)  It is going to be really, really hard to leave Uganda.

This feeling was emphasized last night.  We went to the Ndere Cultural Center (it's like Uganda's PCC).  Oh my.  I was blown away.  Smile pasted on my face.  You know the drill.  It was absolutely wonderful.  Music, dancing, drumming . . . I loved it so much.  






Saturday was eventful as well.  We went to the Baha'i temple (very beautiful, quiet, and peaceful) and then Bethany and I explored downtown Kampala.  We walked about 5 km or so to go to a place called Ethiopian Village for dinner.  We enjoyed just sitting somewhere not made for mzungus/tourists.  





I would write more, but we've got a big day of savings workshops tomorrow, so I need to get to bed.  Love you!

No comments: