8.26.2012

hustling in humidity

I wish that I could say my first taxi ride was adventuresome as James' in Jordan, but unfortunately my driver Mohmeed was not too chatty.  It was fine though because as soon as I got in, I felt like I was in Spain again, and so my mind was racing with memories and new thoughts (none of which would have made much sense to Mohmeed).  A lot of these memories came from the climate here--it was kind of rainy and the air was very thick.  Also, it smelled like cigarettes so, honestly, had you told me I was in Spain I might have believed you.

Anyway, yesterday feels like a huge blur . . . I think I was kind of out of it the entire day.  After going to Trader Joe's and unpacking, Carly (my new roommate) and I decided to venture out into the world of D.C. to find Target.  Luckily the metro system is really similar to the Tube, so we were able to make it without any trouble.  After going to Trader Joe's I thought I might have to live off of only organic food for the next 3 months, so it was great to know that normal food/items are accessible.  And as we were standing in the checkout line, this cute little girl (~7 years old) turned to us and said, "How are you pretty ladies doing tonight?"  And then she started chatting.  And then her parents realized what was happening and told her to tell us to have a good evening.

But.  The best part about the entire Target trip: HONEY BUNCHES OF OATS COSTS LESS THAN $3.00!!!  

My life was made.  Bad news was the umbrellas did not have price tags on them, so I found out at the checkout that the one I picked was too expensive and decided to ditch it and just save that search for another day.




We had to lug a large load back home, so we were really ready for bed once we got home.  


Today was fabulous.  (Besides the fact that one of my nail polish bottles fell and shattered and spilled all over our bathroom and so we had to clean it up and now I have to find a new bottle of that color.)  Church is in this beautiful quaint old building and when we sing hymns it seriously sounds like a musical number from General Conference.  I'm stoked for the next  14 Sundays solely for that.  And our ward seems great and the lessons were great and it was just a beautiful Sabbath day.  And afterward, they had a "Munch and Mingle" which was wonderful because I was quite hungry. . . . turns out I like Gogurt.  (Never had it before, but that's all they had.)

me, Kelsey, Carly, Ky, Andrea, Amanda
After church, talking to Amanda, and taking a nap (are you proud?), we went to a concert at the Kennedy Center:


Ma, you woulda loved it.  A'capella U.S. Men's Army Choir.  Sweet, sweet voices singing sweet, sweet songs.  After the concert we went and explored for a bit.  (And I discovered that my hair is definitely curly.  There is no way that you will see my straight hair for the next few months.)  

[Also, as a side note, I never thought I would ever say this, but I have not even had time to eat--and it's only the first two days!  It's a strange new experience.]








To sum it up . . . .
I love Washington, D.C.

No comments: